From our survey question "What services do you want us to have?", "Environmental Practices (recycling, renewable energy, electric charging station, etc.)" came in second only to "Selling Groceries".
Assess renewable energy options, implementation of 0 to low-waste practices, what kind of money to raise, investments, services, charging station, etc.
Environmental Practices Google Folder (Currently unavailable)
Notes from the Visioning Meeting
Zero to low waste: aim for this!
Packaging: provide low-packaging options for shoppers
- Focus on bulk!
Composting: Be a compost site and offer to sell the composted soil
Lighting: pay attention to low energy options
Product choices: follow best practices in this area
- Education: be prepared to explain to shoppers how and why particular products are environmentally sustainable (or not)
Carbon footprint awareness!
- Buy carbon credits
Use regenerative systems to create our own sustainable sources of energy
Renewable energy usage:
- Install an electric charging station
- Install solar panels
- Partner with other organization and businesses e.g. Community Solar and Consumers, BWL, etc.
- NCG programs: “Invest in local solar projects, like NSFCI
- RE and Charging station: “Possibly partner with companies like
- Low to No Factory Farm or Non-Organic LOCAL/SUSTAINABLE Products:
- “Closed loop regenerative systems”
- “Local low transport”
- Investigate bio-fuels coops
- Kaizen - Japanese for continuous improvement
- Tools to measure electric usage kilowatt $30 newegg.com
- More bulk products with encouragement to bring and weigh containers
- 1) Regional compost site, 2) soil sale/trade, promote gardening (sell seeds, supplies)
- Use volunteers to recycle/reclaim fluorescent and LED bulbs as well as other items not at local recycling centers
- 0 to Low waste: “Iterative process: ways to measure our waste over time, photos of recycling for example
- Donating food we cannot sell to organizations that help the community, lowers food waste
- Environmental Education: “Bag swaps - especially for produce because it allows the produce to keep longer”
- Feature “stories” of different products and how they are environmentally friendly
- Solar panels
- LED Lighting
- Lighttubes/solar tubes (like in former location) - Tubes providing light to dark areas were Solatubes