ELFCO Board of Directors - Candidate Statements
The Board of Directors consists of up to nine members elected by ELFCO's owners. Elections are held annually for three-year terms. Look for information on upcoming elections in the spring of each year. Occasionally, a seat becomes vacant between elections; the sitting Board of Directors may fill the vacant seat upon a motion passed to approve the appointment of a qualified owner who has submitted a self-nomination form.
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in Board meetings. While subject to change, meetings are typically held monthly and last about 2 hours.
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in the annual retreat and additional Board meetings as needed.
- Participate actively in, or lead, at least one ELFCO committee.
- Respond within 48 hours to ELFCO Board email and/or voice mail messages.
- Attend the annual April ELFCO member/owner meeting (four hours on a weekend afternoon).
- Board members should also plan on being available to attend any Board training/development sessions that might be scheduled.
Who is eligible to run for a seat on the Board?
- A voting ELFCO owner is eligible for Board membership provided the person is at least eighteen years of age, neither the person nor her/his spouse/partner has an interest in a wholesale or distributorship licensed business for the sale of alcoholic liquor in Michigan, and neither the owner nor his/her partner/spouse holds law enforcement powers within the jurisdiction of the city or township where we establish a new storefront.