Special Owners Meeting to be held Saturday, October 28, 2017:
On October 28, a Special Owners Meeting will be held for two purposes: (1) to vote on the dissolution of our cooperative, and (2) to provide a forum for sharing concrete proposals to move forward with a fresh, new, practical idea. If you're a co-op owner, you'll receive a letter by October 14 providing more details about the meeting. We'll also post those details on this page, so stay tuned.
***Listen to the Sept. 5, 2017 WKAR interview of ELFCO Board President Yelena Kalinsky here. ***
A Message from our Board
After 40 years of service to the community, ELFCO's storefront closed on January 28, 2017. Over the following months, we sought the input of our owners and many others as we actively explored ways to reopen our store in Lansing. In the end, however, our research showed that the cost of opening and operating a store more or less modeled on the one we just closed was unfeasible. On August 8, 2017, the board voted to discontinue its efforts to reopen, and to put to a vote of the membership, in accordance with the Bylaws, the question of whether the cooperative should be legally dissolved. The possibility does exist of creating an entirely new model for making great food available to our community, but that could only happen if owners not currently active in the co-op stepped up now to offer not only their ideas, but the solid time commitment required for helping to see a new model through to completion. (See the Contact Us page if this describes you!). To keep up with what’s happening, see the meeting minutes which are always posted on the Board of Directors Meeting Information page under the “Governance” tab. Remember also that all owners are invited to attend board meetings. The date of the next meeting is posted below, as well as on the ELFCO event calendar. Watch this space for more details.
ELFCO Board of Directors, August, 2017
A Brief Timeline of Recent and Upcoming Events:
- We sold our building at 4960 Northwind Drive on Tuesday, May 16, 2017.
- In May, we opened a temporary office at 780 W Lake Lansing Road, Suite #600 in East Lansing, which is currently staffed by our office manager. Our phone number is still 517.337.1266. We can also be reached via email; see our Contact Us page.
- After closing the store, owners and others interested in the co-op were invited to participate in several transformation events. In January, a survey was conducted and a visioning meeting was held. In March, a charrette (the Cooperative Community Design Event) also took place. For details, visit the Reimagining ELFCO page.
- The Board passed a motion on May 1, 2017 to focus on building space situated at Shepard and Kalamazoo streets as the most likely location for a new store. This site, on Lansing's east side, is in the same building as the Allen Neighborhood Center.
- Over a period of several months, the Board and staff met with various consultants and advisers, Even with this assistance, the Board was unable to come up with a viable plan for reopening.
- The Board passed a motion on August 8, 2017 to discontinue its efforts to reopen a store and to put the question of dissolving the co-op before the membership. However, it is still open to creative new ideas. Let us know if you have a great idea for how ELFCO could be transformed, and if you have the time to help make such an idea a reality.
- Saturday, October 28, 2017 was chosen by the Board as the date for a special meeting of owners to vote on the dissolution of the co-op, and to entertain concrete, practical proposals for starting anew.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for all your support!
Next Board Meeting:
Monday, October 2, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Location: 1629 E Kalamazoo, Lansing, MI 48912
Meetings are usually held at Allen Neighborhood Center, 1629 E Kalamazoo St, Lansing, Michigan, 48912. Once you are inside the building, you'll typically find us in the small conference room across the hall from the big kitchen. The parking lot is off of Shepard Street.
We are delighted to announce our 2017 Board of Directors:
Yelena Kalinsky (President) - Term Expires: 4/2020*
Heidi Porter (Vice President) - Term expires: 4/2018
Lily Woodruff (Secretary) - Term Expires: 4/2020*
John Reich (Treasurer) - Term expires: 4/2018
Julia Kramer - Term expires: 4/2019
Michele Bridges - Term Expires: 4/2020*
Marshall Clabeaux - Term expires: 4/2019*
Chris Bardenhagen - Term Expires: 4/2018*
Thank you to those who voted and came to the Annual Meeting! Thank you & Congratulations to the new/re-elected Board members! (*) Thank you to Anne Woiwode, our now former Board President, who devoted a whole lot of time and effort to our co-op!