1. Keep your money in your community.
For every $100 spent at a locally owned business, $73 stays in the local economy (compared to $43 for chain stores)
2. Go Green! Buy Local.
Locally owned businesses buy from other local businesses, reducing unnecessary transportation, packaging, and fuel emissions.
3. It’s good to be different.
You can visit a national chain anywhere, but you can only visit our locally owned businesses when you shop in the Capital Area.
4. More innovative & unique choices.
Small, local businesses often sell products or provide services you can’t get from national chains.
5. Encourage entrepreneurship
Cultivating and nurturing local, innovative entrepreneurs is the best way to grow our economy.
6. Create jobs for your neighbors.
Small businesses are the largest employers nationally, creating 2 out of every 3 new jobs.
7. They call it the neighborhood store for a reason.
Locally owned businesses contribute over double the revenue to charity that corporate chains do.
8. Save tax dollars.
Small neighborhood and downtown businesses require less public infrastructure.
9. Create a unique community to live in.
Local ownership provides us with a sense of place and local pride.
10. Be a customer. Not a number.
Local business owners tend to build long-standing, personal relationships with their customers.
READ MORE AT: capitalarealocalfirst.org/about