Mark your calendars!
2018 ELFCO ANNUAL MEETING
SUNDAY, APRIL 29
Hannah Community Center, Recital Room (2nd floor)
819 Abbot Road, East Lansing, MI 48823
*** *** ***
INTERESTED IN JOINING THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS? If so, click on the Governance tab above and go to "Nominations & Elections." Eligibility requirements, Board responsibilities, and the 2018 Self-Nomination form can all be found there. Or click here to go directly to the Self-Nomination (Candidate Statement) form: ELFCO Board Self-Nomination Form.
For more information about Nominations & Elections, click here: http://elfco.coop/wp/board-of-directors/elections/
*** *** ***
12/2/17 SPECIAL OWNER MEETING UPDATE
A Special Owners Meeting was held on December 2, 2017 at the Allen Neighborhood Center. Thanks to all who attended. Below are the outcomes of the two proposals voted on at the meeting:
Proposal #1: Should the co-op dissolve or move forward with another project?
Outcome: The majority of owners present voted to move forward with a new project. The Board of Directors is in the process of setting guidelines, goals, and time limits to ensure that the project proceeds in a productive and timely way. If it does not, the co-op will be dissolved.
Click here to view the proposal currently under discussion. Note, however, that this proposal outlines a suggestion for moving forward and should not be regarded as a finalized plan. If you're intrigued by the plan and would like to be part of shaping ELFCO's future, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposal #2: Should the Plan of Distribution of Assets be approved? (See page 4 of the October 20, 2017 letter to owners. Owners who didn't receive the letter should contact <email@example.com> or call 517-337-1266.)
Outcome: The majority of owners present voted to accept the Plan of Distribution of Assets, which will go into effect if the cooperative dissolves.
THANKS FOR SUPPORTING ELFCO!
*** *** ***
A Message from our Board
After 40 years of service to the community, ELFCO's storefront closed on January 28, 2017. Over the following months, we sought the input of our owners and many others as we actively explored ways to reopen our store in Lansing. In the end, however, our research showed that the cost of opening and operating a store more or less modeled on the one we just closed was unfeasible. The possibility does exist of creating an entirely new model for making great food available to our community (see the link to the proposed project above). We are still looking for owners who want to contribute to this effort, particularly if they can make a solid time commitment to helping to see a new model through to completion. (See the Contact Us page if this describes you!) To keep up with what’s happening, see the meeting minutes which are always posted on the Board of Directors Meeting Information page under the “Governance” tab. Remember also that all owners are invited to attend Board meetings. The date of the next meeting is posted below, as well as on the ELFCO event calendar. Watch this space for more details.
*** *** ***
A Brief Timeline of Recent and Upcoming Events:
- We sold our building at 4960 Northwind Drive on Tuesday, May 16, 2017.
- In May, we opened a temporary office at 780 W Lake Lansing Road, Suite #600 in East Lansing, which is currently staffed by our office manager. Our phone number is still 517.337.1266. We can also be reached via email; see our Contact Us page.
- After closing the store, owners and others interested in the co-op were invited to participate in several transformation events. In January, a survey was conducted and a visioning meeting was held. In March, a charrette (the Cooperative Community Design Event) also took place. For details, visit the Reimagining ELFCO page.
- The Board passed a motion on May 1, 2017 to focus on building space situated at Shepard and Kalamazoo streets as the most likely location for a new store. This site, on Lansing's east side, is in the same building as the Allen Neighborhood Center.
- Over a period of several months, the Board and staff met with various consultants and advisers, Even with this assistance, the Board was unable to come up with a viable plan for reopening.
- The Board passed a motion on August 8, 2017 to discontinue its efforts to reopen a store and to put the question of dissolving the co-op before the membership. However, it is still open to creative new ideas. Let us know if you have a great idea for how ELFCO could be transformed, and if you have the time to help make such an idea a reality.
- Friday, November 17, 2017: due date for owners to submit New Project Presentation proposals. To review those instructions, click here: New Project Presentation Instructions.
- December 2, 2017 (Saturday): A special owners meeting was held at the Allen Neighborhood Center. Owners present voted on whether to approve two proposals: (1) to dissolve the co-op or to move forward with a new project approved by the Board of Directors, and (2) to approve the Plan of Distribution of Assets, which would go into effect contingent upon the dissolution of the cooperative. Both proposals were approved.
- A CSA Fair was hosted by ELFCO on Saturday, March 10 from 11:00 to 2:00 at the Peoples Church in East Lansing. Seven farmers were present to sell shares in their CSAs. If you'd like to contact any of them, give the co-op a call at 517-337-1266, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 2018 ELFCO Annual Meeting has been set for Sunday, April 29 from 2:00-4:00 p.m. in the Recital Room (2nd floor) of the East Lansing Hannah Community Center. The address is 819 Abbot Road, East Lansing. Come to the meeting and be a part of shaping your co-op's future!
Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for all your support!
Next Board Meeting:
Date: Monday, April 16, 2018, 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Location: New meeting location! 780 West Lake Lansing Road, Suite #600 (lower level), East Lansing, MI 48823
DRIVING DIRECTIONS: ELFCO's office, located at the above address, is situated at the intersection of West Lake Lansing Road and Harrison Road. (The intersection has a traffic light and is just a few blocks east of the Lake Lansing Meijer store.) The 780 building is the second building to the right once you've turned into the office park driveway. There are two entrances to the lower level, one on either side of the building; note that the stairs are ONLY accessible from the OUTSIDE of the building. (There are no stairs inside the building.)
*** *** ***
ELFCO'S Board of Directors:
Chris Bardenhagen (President) - Term Expires: 4/2018
Stephen Gasteyer (Vice-President) - Term Expires: 4/2018
John Reich (Treasurer) - Term expires: 4/2018
Michele Bridges - Term Expires: 4/2020
Marshall Clabeaux - Term expires: 4/2019
Steve Andre - Term expires: 4/2018
*** *** ***